Best hikes in Sri Lanka:
Escape the Ordinary: Unveiling the Serene and Adventurous Side of Sri Lanka
In today’s fast-paced world, where constant internet connectivity and mobile phones leave us with little room to unwind, the opportunity to go off the grid is a rare and cherished luxury. Escaping the pressures of modern life and finding solace away from the hustle and bustle has become increasingly challenging. This is especially true after the periods of isolation brought on by the pandemic, which have exacerbated the mental health crisis. Consequently, there has been a surge in demand for wellness holidays that offer a chance to rejuvenate.
Welcome to Sri Lanka, a land of historic tea estates, awe-inspiring mountains, lush tropical rainforests, and vibrant bird-filled jungles – a hiker’s paradise. Here, you’ll discover an extensive network of trails that cater to individuals of all ages and fitness levels, ensuring that everyone, from seasoned adventurers to casual walkers, can savor unforgettable hikes on a Sri Lankan holiday. But if you’re seeking a more challenging and exhilarating adventure, we invite you to explore these extreme expeditions that will leave you with lifelong memories.
Hike in Knuckles
- Embark on an adventure of a lifetime as you journey through the Knuckles Mountain Range, a UNESCO-recognized gem.
- This area boasts an abundance of rare endemic wildlife, both in flora and fauna, and offers some of the most spectacular vistas found on the island.
- Whether you opt for a one-day trek to explore its treasures or commit to a multi-day expedition through the reserve, complete with nights spent in colonial tea bungalows perched above terraced tea estates, the Knuckles Mountains will captivate your senses.
The Pekoe Trail
- This remarkable expedition, a relative newcomer to Sri Lanka’s hiking scene, spans the entire central tea country.
- It stretches from the misty mountains on the outskirts of Kandy to the vast valleys near Ella in the southeast.
- Whether you’re inclined to spend your entire holiday hiking the full route or prefer to select specific sections that align with your itinerary, the expert guidance of professionals like the team at Red Dot Tours can help you plan your journey.
- Along the way, you’ll uncover picturesque hikes, challenging climbs, and treks through tea estates steeped in history and culture.
Canyoning adventure in Kitulgala
- For the adventurers among us, Kitulgala presents the ultimate Sri Lankan expedition – canyoning.
- This adrenaline-pumping experience involves hiking to the top of a sheer rockface before descending by abseil into the river valley below.
- There, you can indulge in the thrilling practice of free jumping into natural pools.
- With expert guides equipped with international-standard gear, your canyoning adventure can be tailored to your skill level.
- Kitulgala is also renowned for its white-water rafting opportunities. You can navigate the exhilarating grade II and III rapids of the Kelani River while taking in the stunning surroundings.
Adam’s Peak – The Sacred Mountain in Sri Lanka
- Among the most unforgettable experiences Sri Lanka has to offer is the hike to the summit of Adam’s Peak, the country’s sacred mountain.
- Adam’s Peak holds immense significance for all major religions in Sri Lanka, thanks to a footprint imprint visible at the summit.
- The ascent, which takes about three hours and typically occurs at night, offers a unique opportunity to interact with fellow pilgrims and sample local food and clothing stalls along the way.
- Though it’s a challenging trek, the reward is beyond words – a breathtaking sunrise and an atmosphere that etches itself into your soul.
Other hiking routes in Sri Lanka
- World’s End in Hortons Plain National Park – Nuwara Eliya
- Ella Rock – Ella
- Meemure – Small village between Kandy and Matale district
- Sinharaja Forest Reserve – South-West Sri Lanka, Sinharaja
- Belihuloya – Village in Ratnapura district
- Ohiya – Located in Badulla district, closer to Horton’s Plains
Where is the longest trail in Sri Lanka?
- Ravana Ella Falls